Wednesday, January 5, 2011

The steak is the star

We eat a lot of beef. It's hard not to, when you have more than a quarter of a cow neatly wrapped in your freezer.

Once a year or so, my husband and I rally a few friends together and buy a whole cow. It's a fun process. We pick up the meat and then make a little party out of parsing it out and usually wrap a barbecue into the festivities.

This year we got a cow from On The Lamb Farm. While their beef is not strictly organic, I am happy with how the cows are raised and treated. I am also super happy with how the beef tastes. We will definitely be giving them our business again.

For dinner, we started with two steaks, which my husband Jerry cooked in the oven in our cast iron pan. We love that thing, it gets a lot of use. He seasoned it with some very non-local spices (The only non-local thing in this meal) and a bit of my precious olive oil.


Then we chopped up some shiitake mushrooms from Granite Falls, and sauteed them in the pan with the steak juice. YUM!
 
I added in some nice Washington potatoes, which roasted up beautifully with garlic and olive oil in my new Emile Henry pan, which was a fabulous birthday gift. Broccoli from Arlington, just steamed, finished off a nicely balanced plate.

I have to say, while none of this food is fancy, every bit of it was delicious. And I'm pretty proud of getting such a local, organic meal on the table while wrangling a baby. She's not crawling yet, but she desperately wants to. I'm sure mealtime will get a bit trickier once she actually figures it out.


My next local meal is planned for this evening, but I need to get this posted so a full update will have to wait for later. I think steak is going to feature prominently again. I'll try to keep it from getting too boring.

1 comment:

  1. I love how you captured the steam rising from the plate! Yum!

    ReplyDelete